Tuesday, October 25, 2016

Reflective Journal No. 6: The Boy Named Crow



           The Storm is You.




          "And once the storm is over, you won't remember how you made it through, how you managed to survive. You won't even be sure, in fact, whether the storm is really over. But one thing is for certain. When you come out of the storm, YOU WON'T BE THE SAME PERSON WHO WALKED IN. That's what this storm is all about. "
-Crow
(Kafka on the Shore: The boy named Crow)







Who is the author behind Kafka on the Shore?



Born January 12, 1949, Kyōto,Japan, the most widely translated Japanese novelist of his generation.

HARUKI MURAKAMI


                  Murakami’s first novel, Kaze no uta o kike (1979; Hear the Wind Sing; film 1980), won a prize for best fiction by a new writer. From the start his writing was characterized by images and events that the author himself found difficult to explain but which seemed to come from the inner recesses of his memory. Some argued that this ambiguity, far from being off-putting, was one reason for his popularity with readers, especially young ones, who were bored with the self-confessions that formed the mainstream of contemporary Japanese Literature. His perceived lack of a political or intellectual stance irritated “serious” authors, who dismissed his early writings as being no more than entertainment.
                 Murakami then published 1973-nen no pinbōru (1980; Pinball, 1973) and Hitsuji o meguru bōken (1982; A Wild Sheep Chase), novels that feature the narrator of Hear the Wind Sing and his friend, known as “the Rat.” Those first three novels constituted a loose trilogy. A Wild Sheep Chase became his first major international success. Hear the Wind Sing and Pinball, 1973, which had previously been translated into English in a limited run, were reissued in English as Wind/Pinball in 2015. The narrator and the Rat also appeared in Murakami’s next important novel,Sekai no owari to hādoboirudo wandārando (1985; Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World), a fantasy that was successful with the public and won the prestigious Tanizaki Price Murakami adopted a more straightforward style for the coming-of-age novel Noruwei no mori (1987; Norwegian Wood; film 2010), which sold millions of copies in Japan and firmly established him as a literary celebrity. He then returned to the bizarre milieu of his earlier trilogy with Dansu Dansu Dansu (1988; Dance Dance Dance).  




Summary: 

                                             The Boy Named Crow

                    


                Kafka was never been close to his dad and it is enough reason for him to come up for a decision of running away from home. He's up to finally run away when he saw the boy named Crow at the office of his dad. Crow asked him how much money will he need and he answered Y400,000. He taught Crow will make his escape plan easier but he expected wrong.

               Crow asked him a lot of questions about Kafka's plan after finally running away and Kafka felt silent. Crow made Kafka see that he is only 15 years old and it seems impossible for him to live without the support from his Dad. But Kafka is really eager for independence, so he disregard the what if's that Crow made him see.





         Reflective Journal # 6: The Boy Named Crow




                               Better Version of Myself




                      I always asked, why does life has to be so hard? Why do I have to experience struggles and problems? And when will this problem stop? But, after reading "The Boy Named Crow", one thing was inculcated in my mind: Challenges and problems are the point of life and why I am still living.

                    The character of Kafka made me see my 11-years old self when I also once planned to run away from home because I had enough with the problems in my family. I once taught that maybe if I am away from my chaotic family, I will be fine. And remembering that day, I thanked my old self that she chose to stay and faced the problem. Because now, I am alright and everything is good. Even though Kafka's and my 11-years old self's decision was different, the point of Crow in the story where he said that fate is you. I learned that fate will always depend on him you will make your decision, because at the end of the day, it's you who will still matters.

                    The advice of Crow about life being a sandstorm inspired me a lot to face my problems instead of running away from it. Because like what Crows had said, once the problems are over , you will never remember how you survived , but one thing is for sure, you are not the same person again. And with that, I will faced the conflicts that will come my way like what my 11-years old self did, because I wanted to learn and be a better version of myself.




No comments:

Post a Comment